Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Powerful Movie, Powerful Message

Got a call from Bennie Mullins yesterday, a dear friend, from FBC Savage, who was just checking up with me to see how Penny and I were doing.  I do so appreciate he and Beverly.  I appreciate a brother in the Lord who cares enough to make a difference.

During the course of the conversation he challenged me to go and see the new movie Courageous

As we closed our conversation and my day progressed, I kept thinking about that and remembered that I had missed the opportunity to preview the movie while serving as Pastor of FBC Savage due to my move to Fort Wayne. I have seen and purchased most of the movies that Sherwood Baptist Church has produced, Flywheel, Fireproof, Facing the Giants... I guess the last time we went to the movies was to see Fireproof. Those of you who know me and my past can imagine what a powerful movie that was and the impact it made on me. It took a long time to process that movie...

All of that aside, I knew that we should go and see Courageous, not only because I was confident the movie would have a good message, but even more because I wanted to support a church that was impacting the nation for Christ with movies that provided clear, conservative Biblical values.

Well, when Penny called I asked her if she wanted to go to the movies. "No Brainer"... "DA.." I don't know a woman that isn't delighted when her husband wants to take her out on a date! We showed up at the theater at about 7:00, the movie start time was 7:10 and to our surprise, there wasn't a single person at the theater! Of course, who goes to a movie on a Tuesday night? :o) Besides, the movie has been out since September. We're a little slow when it comes to TV and movies. We don't even have regular cable, just one of those cheap digital antenna's to get the local channels for the news.

Within a few minutes another young couple came in and as you might imagine, they looked surprised like us and so I struck up a conversation and said, "take your pick of seats" or something like that. We chatted back and forth across the theater and had a good conversation. Several others filed in before the movie started and just as I expected, it was a powerful, powerful movie. It even moved Penny to tears. (many of you know I'm the one that is always crying in movies, it takes a bit more to move her to tears)  Take a moment and watch the trailer.


The movie resonated with me in a very real and tangible way because I had served as a Police Officer for several years in Forth Worth, Texas while at seminary.  Sadly, I have also buried too many children as a minister and the pain and struggle this kind of crisis of faith brings is very hard, almost impossible for families and marriages to endure.  So much of what was depicted was what I have lived and some of the scenes brought back thoughts, images and feelings from different points in my life and the struggles and failures I've lived.

It is compelling how Sherwood continues to be able to weave the truth of how God can and does work in our lives into the fabric of the every day events we face through their movies.  I'll not ruin the movie for you if you haven't seen it by giving the story line.  Do yourself a favor and spend 20 bucks and go see it with your wife or even better take your whole family. 

Yes... this is one we will buy and give as a Christmas present to our kids!  It is worth watching a second and even a third time!

For those who are impacted by the movie I would also invite you to read a book entitled, "Dear Dad - If I Could Tell You Anything" by Doug Webster.  This is a powerful book that I ran across years ago when Daniel was in college.  I so wish I had found this book when the kids were still home.  You better get it now, I had a hard time finding a link to available copies on the web now!

Dear Dad

My hats off to Sherwood Baptist Church and the ministries that they are pursuing.  I have often wondered why the SBC hasn't moved in directions to impact the culture like this church has.  I am praying that God will grant the grace and resources to plant a church here in Fort Wayne that can model the passion and ministry of Sherwood Baptist!

After the movie, we talked again with the young couple we chatted with in the beginning.  They were a couple of college students from Huntington University a Christian College, little bit south of Fort Wayne.  It was a great conversation and we invited them to consider joining us with the new church start.  We will see what the Lord does.

Well.. I sure do hope that you will take a moment and click the links above and go watch the trailers to these movies, check out Sherwood Baptist and Huntington University and consider obtaining a copy of these great movies for your own personal use.  Encourage your church to get a copy for the Church library and a license to show it publicly and have a family movie night for your community as a means of outreach!!  Be sure to include a decision time and fellowship after the showing to touch the lives of those who come!! 

Have a great day!

No comments: